Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Paladin Progress

As more and more time passes I have become increasingly happy with my change from my DK as my main to my Paladin being my main. The additional versatility the class has offered me has opened many avenues of game play, and I'm taking advantage of them all. My guild raids three days a week in 25-man, running ICC-25 and TOC-25/Ony-25/VOA-25 now where I DPS as Ret, and I've gotten back to the point where I was with my DK a few weeks back. On Friday nights I heal in our 10-man group, other raids I tag along on during the week, and heroics daily. On the weekends I'll often switch to Prot and run through some older raid dungeons or what have. But it's really my Holy spec which I am most pleased with.

I've raid healed as a Resto Druid, Holy Paladin, and did a little bit as Resto Shaman at the beginning of WotLK. While I still like Resto Druid healing very much, I'm completely impressed with Holy healing. Holy Pallys might not have true AOE healing abilities, but then again when you can through out 17k+ bomb heals in 1.5 seconds which also heal 10% of that to 5 nearby players do you really need that? 1.5 seconds? Yes, with only an easily obtainable 600 or so haste you can be that monster too.

As for me, I'm still specced and glyphed for Flash of Light healing. It's exceedingly mana efficient. Especially in a raid setting where you will usually have ample mana regen floating around. And it's quick. With Beacon of Light on a tank I can raid heal and tank heal at the same time. As I said, I'm very pleased with it. And in as much as I have been enjoying Holy healing, I'm just now starting to get into the stats and gear that are at the higher levels of the totem pole. 2523 sp, 26% crit, 478 haste, 348 mp/5. My crit is a tad low, but that is simply a matter of a few drops. Namely a new necklace and pants, which should put me at 29% crit. I'm shooting for 30%, and as soon as I can replace my gloves and boots I'll be over that. Couple weeks and I'll be there.

There really isn't a lot to be said about Retribution. Truly it is face rolling. All the power of a charging rhinoceros, and a bubble/hearth to keep you safe. What isn't to love? Especially in ICC where it's chock full of undead, and you do extra damage to those with Glyph of Sense Undead socketed. 1% extra damage can add up to quite a bit over the course of an evening. I creamed everyone in ICC-25 last night, except for one DK who wildly out gears me. Yet he only beat me on total damage, or single target boss damage by small margins. I shudder to think what it would be like if we were similarly geared, or even better, if I had Shadowmourne! Does it sound like I have a goal?