Sunday, January 24, 2010

Star Trek Online beta

I've been able to spend a couple more hours playing in between the frequent server crashes. Unfortunately the server is crashing a couple times an hour now and I've taken all of that I can today. However I can say that yes, the fleet actions do become a bit more strategic. They're still fairly fast paced, so by strategic I mean you need to be able to ascertain how to rotate shields away from an enemy and utilize the skills your bridge officers give you to minimize damage you're taking and maximize damage you deal out. I'm in the middle of Lieutenant now and I would have died several times over if I hadn't paid attention to those sorts of things. A few of my fleet mates did -- evidently because they didn't.

I really wish Mythic could keep the servers in a more stable state, but the common statement on the forums from real "fans" is "lawl this is a beta". Not sure what that has to do with anything, but there it is. I had a mission that took me to a sector that I simply couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do it, and would have liked to have given it some more time tonight. Oh well, perhaps tomorrow.