Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ignore the refridgerator. What about that money?

Yes I'm still a noobie, but I would still find it impossible to understand how anyone could spend a thousand dollars, let alone over $100k on a game. Yet the Mattani regales us this week with a story of just such a person in EVE Online. A person who was so undeterred in losing his entire initial investment that he spent even more in a renewed effort to attain his in game goals. I'm familiar with real money trading (RMT) in WOW and my older MMO Star Wars Galaxies (SWG) where people are known to buy in game currency for real money. Yet this goes beyond the pale of any of those stories. Even the player I knew in SWG who was instrumental in an item dupe exploit and ended up making about $50k from it in a year.

People are indeed crazy.